Pursuing such an undertaking:
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
- Mitigates pollutants and improves public health.
- Increases energy independence and stabilizes fuel prices through reduced dependence on fossil fuels.
- Advances environmental justice and equity.
- Creates eligibility for certain government grants and incentives.
- Reduces operations and maintenance costs.
- Enhances transit providers’ reputations.
- Creates more resilience in preparing for the implications of climate change.
Transitioning to alternative fueling and zero emissions creates opportunities for public transit operators to promote sustainability, reduce greenhouse gases, advance carbon removal, lower operating costs, improve public health and safety, and advance environmental justice and equity. It also enhances transit providers’ reputations and offers a pathway toward a more efficient and socially responsible public transportation system.
Gannett Fleming brings a comprehensive understanding of the challenges inherent in transitioning an internal combustion fleet, including:
- Creating the fleet planning and transition strategy.
- Understanding the number of technology and infrastructure variables and determining costs and operational impacts of each choice.
- Developing accurate performance models to properly determine fleet and infrastructure needs.
- Developing a charging strategy.
- Assessing grid capacity and charging supply and mitigation strategies.
- Understanding charging infrastructure needs and developing cost-effective standards.
- Managing implementation and integration.
- Understanding and planning for technological advancements.
- Coordinating with project stakeholders.
- Developing fire and safety standards and procedures.
- Employee training for operations and maintenance.
- Vehicle overhaul and recycling plans.
Gannett Fleming brings the knowledge, insights, best practices, and relevant experience to successfully partner with you on your zero-emission transportation system.