Tampa Bay Regional Transportation Analysis and Long Range Transportation Planning
Supporting the transportation planning efforts of the Tampa Bay region for 25 years
Florida Department of Transportation, District 7
In 1990, Gannett Fleming began working with the Florida Department of Transportation, District 7, Citrus County, and the Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, and Hernando County Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO), to develop the first regional travel demand model for Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) applications. This Tampa Bay Regional Transportation Analysis (RTA) project is the technical process for addressing regional mobility solutions in the Tampa Bay area.
The RTA required the implementation of travel characteristic surveys, such as truck and taxi, hotel and motel, household, origin-destination, cordon line, and speed, to support the data for the regional model.
What We Did
Gannett Fleming developed the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Model (TBRPM), which is used for LRTP development and other major transportation studies. Gannett Fleming also developed the West Central Florida Regional Planning Model (WCFRPM) and the Tampa Bay Regional Transit Model (TBRTM), in coordination with other planning partners, for conducting transit studies such as alternatives analysis, regional transit long range master plan development and corridor projects. At the heart of the RTA process is the Technical Review Team (TRT). The TRT provides guidance on TBRPM applications and Gannett Fleming provides technical support for the TRT.
Since 1991, Gannett Fleming has continued to successfully implement four critical aspects of the RTA planning process:
- Applying and analyzing the results of the models for long range transportation plans and regional highway and transit projects.
- Conducting and analyzing travel characteristic surveys.
- Developing regional travel demand models and providing the update and maintenance support for model applications.
- Training and regional coordination.
- Air quality conformity determination.
- Continued coordination between FDOT District 7 and the four local MPOs.
- Creation of the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Model.
- Development of LRTPs for MPOs and Citrus Counties.
- Local and regional corridor studies.
- Parcel land use analysis and modeling using GIS.
- Regional travel demand model development.
- Updating the TBRPM.