Pfizer Gene Therapy Lab Expansion and Renovation
Building 114 lab provides improved quality control support functions for new gene therapy operations
Our Client’s Challenge
As part of an investment in gene therapy facilities throughout North Carolina, pharmaceutical company Pfizer renovated and expanded its Sanford gene therapy quality control areas to support new drug substance (DS) and drug products (DP) growth.
The site’s expansion reflects the decades-long trend of advanced technology growth in North Carolina’s biotechnology industry as biotech companies support their cutting-edge research.
Gannett Fleming provided engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) services for an $8.1 million brownfield modular expansion in support of gene therapy biological manufacturing. We provided planning, conceptual, and detailed design services for a 7,000-square-foot addition and 4,000 square feet of renovations in the existing building to create new laboratory and freezer spaces on two floors.
Construction management and project management oversight services included:
- Site grading.
- Concrete and steel.
- Walls, ceilings, and roof.
- Paint, laminate floor, and glass.
- Mechanical, plumbing, electrical, fire protection, automated controls, and security.
This EPC project supports the strategic growth of quality control (QC) functions for in-process, product sample management, and analytical testing for vaccine and gene therapy operations. The growth solutions add operational functions for:
- Gene therapy (GTx).
- QC method transfer, validation, remediation (MTVR).
- QC sample management – external analytical testing.
- QC controls labs.
- Critical reagents.
- Reference materials.
- QC stability.
- Liquid waste decontamination (BSL-2).
- QC support functions.
- B114 connector.
- Dry chemical fire suppression system.
- Analytical equipment, including high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), fume hoods, biosafety cabinets, minus 70 C freezers, and Actini decontamination systems.
- Tie-ins to clean and dirty existing facility central utility systems.
- Upgrades to electrical switchgear and backup power generation.
- Coordination of off-hour shutdowns for tie-ins to active manufacturing systems.
- Mechanical heavy lifts over existing active laboratory and manufacturing space.
Awards & Recognition
- Awards. This web part is hidden.
- Expanded quality control support capabilities for DS and DP gene therapies.
- Facility supports cutting-edge gene therapy development of transformative treatments for patients worldwide.
- Project delivery in 2023 supports clinical trial manufacturing for new gene therapies.
EPC Services, Construction Management, Building Systems, Security