Oklahoma Turnpike Authority All-Electronic Tolling Conversion Planning
As part of their “Driving Forward” plan, the Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (OTA) decided to open the new Gilcrease Expressway with All-Electronic Tolling (AET), with other turnpikes to follow. As a trusted advisor to OTA for many years, Gannett Fleming worked as part of a consultant team to provide OTA with information and recommendations in the planning stages of this multiyear effort.
What We Did
Gannett Fleming worked with OTA staff to develop:
- Lessons Learned—Our team examined successful and challenging aspects of AET deployments across North America, resulting in the development and presentation of a high-level recommendation to improve performance and efficiency with future AET expansions and conversions.
- Business Rules—We performed a detailed review of the AET pilot business rules, while considering recommendations of lessons learned. This resulted in a detailed AET business rules document as a baseline for OTA to work within its future planning phases.
- Information Technology (IT)—We recommended IT enhancements needed for system and process improvements across the organization for AET deployment.
- Legislation—We provided OTA with a representative nationwide outline of relevant AET state legislation that has been enacted. Based on this information, we recommended legislation changes that would benefit AET collections and enforcement, including reciprocity.
- Revenue Assurance Plan (RAP)—We developed a detailed RAP to help OTA with tracking and monitoring factors that could impact revenue collection.
- Multi-turnpike statewide All-Electronic Tolling deployment.
- High-level recommendation to improve performance and efficiency with future AET expansion/conversion.
- RAP to help track and monitor factors that could impact revenue collection.
- Improved mobility for 26,000 motorists every day.
- Additional river crossing increases travel options.
- Business rules guidance for future AET deployment.
Oklahoma Turnpike Authority
Oklahoma City, Okla.
Toll System Consultant