NJ TRANSIT Northern Bus Garage Project
Our Client’s Challenge
New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ TRANSIT) operates 18 bus garages throughout the state, ranging from 20 to 120 years old. These existing maintenance facilities are currently operating at or above their capacities. The loss of bus fleet capacity during renovations hinders significant garage system rehabilitation, modernization of existing garages, or replacement of aged facilities.
New Jersey Transit Corporation (NJ TRANSIT) partnered with Gannett Fleming to provide professional consulting engineering services for the new Northern Bus Garage. Phase 1A included data collection, needs assessment, development of four conceptual designs, and preparation of a project definition report. In Phase 1B, services provided include:
- Preliminary bus garage facility design and engineering, including survey and base mapping and right-of-way engineering.
- Utility, geotechnical, and environmental investigations.
- Preparing requirements for the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and developing preliminary and value engineering.
The new garage will house 500 45-foot and 60-foot transit and commuter buses. Construction details include:
- Service area and parts storage.
- Transit bus maintenance and inspection bays.
- Diesel fueling capabilities.
- Alternative fueling/charging station.
- Bus washing facility.
- Administrative offices.
- On-site parking.
The garage will accommodate diesel and zero-emissions buses, with the flexibility to transition to a 100% zero-emission fleet over time as part of New Jersey’s NJT2030 10-year strategic initiative. Gannett Fleming’s facility layout design blends into the surrounding environmental context and provides complete functionality with optimum site use, including facility access, while allowing minimum impact on environmental resources.
- Storage and maintenance of 500 45‘ and 60‘ buses.
- On-site parking for 670 vehicles, visitors, and snow removal equipment.
- Supports diesel and zero-emission buses, storage, and maintenance.
- Increases capacity to accommodate projected future ridership growth.
- Reduces bus overflow at other garages to increase on-time performance.
- Limits delays due to vehicle maintenance issues.
- 100% zero-emission bus ready.
Awards & Recognition
- Awards. This web part is hidden.
New Jersey Transit Corporation
Engineering and Design