Long Island Rail Road Enhanced Station Initiative Project
As the busiest commuter railroad in North America, the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) serves as a reliable and safe source of transportation 80 million passengers each year. To strengthen its reputation, the agency is in the midst of an ambitious design-build Enhanced Station Initiative (ESI). The program involves modernizing 17 LIRR stations to improve customer experience, perception, comfort, safety, and convenience.
Gannett Fleming was selected as the designer of record to bring station concepts to reality for five stations on Long Island, including several of the LIRR’s most heavily used facilities. In this role, the firm led the station improvement design, rebranding, and construction oversight services to rehabilitate, renovate, and modernize the stations in partnership with the builder. In total, the five stations serve more than 26,000 travelers each weekday.
What We Did
The ESI involves place-making, exterior renovations, and the implementation of leading-edge technology to create true destinations for arriving and departing passengers. The upgrades at each station include improved comforts, such as new restrooms; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems; lighting; and furniture, as well as new infrastructure and wireless connectivity to support today’s mobile communications technology.
The design of the improvements creates a signature look at each station that reflects the rich history of the community it serves. In addition to building upgrades, the project includes new wayfinding to provide passengers with clear, seamless directions. To modernize the five stations, the team successfully submitted 15 design packages under an aggressive, 29-week schedule established by the governor’s office, delivering all work on time and on budget.
- New wall tiles, signage, lighting, bulletin boards, CCTV security cameras, HVAC systems, ticket windows, and furniture enhance passenger comfort, safety, and convenience.
- Accessibility upgrades ensure compliance with Americans with Disabilities Act requirements.
- MTA Arts for Transit installations provide aesthetic appeal and help make the stations true destinations for travelers.
Awards & Recognition
- National Recognition Award, 2020, American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC), Engineering Excellence Awards.
- Diamond Award, 2019, American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) New York, Engineering Excellence Awards.
- 2019 Archi Award for Historic Restoration/Adaptive Reuse (Farmingdale Station), American Institute of Architects (AIA) Long Island Chapter, 55th Annual Archi Awards.
- Enhanced traveling experience for 26,000 rail passengers each weekday.
- Key support for a comprehensive modernization program to reconstruct the LIRR.
- Modernized facilities preserve and reflect the history of local communities.
- Wireless connectivity and digital displays improve wayfinding and convenience.
MTA Long Island Rail Road
Design, Construction Oversight Services