International Flavors & Fragrances Facility Storm Hardening
NEW FLOODWALL AND INFRASTRUCTURE UPGRADES ADDRESS EXTREME WEATHER CHALLENGE
Hit hard by Superstorm Sandy, the International Flavors & Fragrances (IFF) Research and Development Complex suffered significant damage from tidal waters and extreme wind. To strengthen the facility’s resiliency in the face of future extreme weather events, IFF initiated an ambitious storm-hardening project. The complex is a critical component of IFF’s global operations.
Gannett Fleming provided design and construction management for the design-build storm hardening effort, which created a floodwall surrounding the low-lying areas of the site to protect assets from flood damage due to tidal surge, as well as a stormwater pumping system to mitigate the risk of flooding further and make the facility less susceptible to damage.
The project also included upgrading the facility’s electrical system infrastructure and renovating the laboratory heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) system.
What We Did
The team designed and constructed a floodwall consisting of reinforced poured concrete footings and walls clad with brick veneer to match the existing facility. Pedestrian and vehicular wall openings support modular, aluminum floodwall panels designed to withstand tidal surges from storms and other major weather events.
The stormwater pumping system was tied into the emergency generator power system to enable operations during a power outage. Catch basins prevent storm debris from affecting pumping operations. Force mains direct stormwater flow during flood periods. The team erected a new three-story utility infrastructure addition to elevate all critical infrastructure on the campus, including transformers, switchgear, and air handlers. This new infrastructure is capable of withstanding extreme weather events.
Our work included preparing:
- Municipal zoning and planning board permit applications.
- A New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Flood Hazard Area Individual Permit.
- A Soil Erosion and Sediment Control Permit Application.
- A county planning board application.
- Floodwall with modular, aluminum panels reduces the risk of flood damage.
- Floodwall aesthetics integrated with existing building architecture creates cohesion.
- Stormwater pumping system, including catch basins, handles excess water.
- Upgraded existing infrastructure and renovated HVAC system enhance operational efficiency and employee comfort.
- Enhanced protection against destructive tidal surges.
- Mitigated risk of stormwater flooding.
- New facilities integrated into existing architecture.
International Flavors & Fragrances
Union Beach, N.J.
Design-Build Services, Construction Management