Circuit Breaker Replacement
CIRCUIT BREAKER REPLACEMENT HELPS COMBUSTION TURBINE FACILITY UPGRADE AGING EQUIPMENT
For enhanced reliability, PPL made the critical decision to upgrade an aging 69 kilovolt (kV) circuit breaker at its Harrisburg combustion turbine facility, which supports the city’s demand for electricity. The new, sulfur hexafluoride (SF6) gas circuit breaker is cost-effective and strengthens performance of the facility’s electrical systems.
What We Did
Under a blank three-year contract to provide engineering support services, Gannett Fleming designed the new 69 kV SF6 gas circuit breaker. The SF6 gas breaker supports the facility’s high voltage environment and is a safe, reliable, and compact solution. In addition to protecting electrical infrastructure, the state-of-the-art circuit breaker also reduces the potential for arc flash events and does not require maintenance under normal operating conditions. Proactively replacing the deteriorating breaker helps to ensure ongoing, reliable electric system performance and preserve transmission and distribution infrastructure.
- Testing of the new breaker.
- Adherence to corporate design standards.
- Eliminates the need for obsolete parts and optimizes usable space.
- Modifications to the existing foundation and structural steel minimized the environmental impact of the project.
- Cost-effective circuit breaker upgrade.
- Electrical system integrity maintained during upgrade.
- Enables plant to respond quickly to changing energy demands.