Capital Blue Cross Headquarters Renovation
MODERN, WELCOMING FAÇADE AND NEW HEALTH AND WELLNESS FACILITY INVITE THE LEHIGH VALLEY COMMUNITY TO ACCESS HEALTH AND WELL-BEING RESOURCES
When Capital Blue Cross planned to renovate its Lehigh Valley headquarters on Hamilton Street in downtown Allentown, Pa., their leadership envisioned a modern, welcoming building that reflected their commitment to the health of the region’s residents. The resulting interior and exterior updates, completed in 2021, enhance office employee comfort and offer a new health and wellness center for the community on the street-level first floor.
What We Did
Gannett Fleming provided integrated design and support services for the 39,000-square-foot, three-story complex. The project scope included renovated office space and renovations to most of the first floor and the entire second and third floors, along with the men’s and women’s restrooms on three floors. Windows installed in the existing masonry façades allow more natural light into the spaces. A new generator provides a more resilient approach to back up the first-floor data center and the second- and third-floor intermediate distribution frame closets.
Gannett Fleming developed a scheme for the interior finishes, including floor, wall, and ceiling treatments in line with Capital Blue Cross’s standards. Open spaces, natural light, and mounted images of the region’s parks contribute to the health and wellness atmosphere.
Our design responsibilities included the following engineering disciplines for a cohesive design:
- Life safety.
Our team prepared:
- Demolition documentation.
- Construction plans showing the layout of partitions and built-in millwork.
- Reflected ceiling plans.
- Power and data plans.
The $5.4 million project was separated into two phases:
- Phase One included interior renovations to the three floors with some exterior work.
- Phase Two included the beautification of the exterior front façade and a portion of the east and west facades, which are adjacent to the front entry.
New, modern metal panels and louvers on the exterior are welcoming and inviting. A glass front with steel awning and a curtain-wall system at the main entry give a fresh look to this building in the heart of Allentown, contributing to the city’s revitalization.
- Open spaces and fresh interior design convey Capital Blue Cross branding and invoke an atmosphere of wellness.
- Upgrades to mechanical and electrical systems support office and wellness center initiatives.
- New generator backs up the data center and intermediate distribution frame closets.
- New 1,500-square-foot walk-in health and wellness center gives residents easy access to various wellness services.
- Renovated office spaces support employee comfort.
- New glass and metal façade welcomes employees and consumers and contributes to the Lehigh Valley region’s revitalization.
Capital Blue Cross