Energy and Power Delivery Solutions
Specialty Practice Areas
Periodic system analysis is recommended to ensure optimum functionality and dependability. Our analysis services help you estimate, strategize, and find solutions to improve system efficiency, reliability, and safety. As electrical power systems become more complex, the need for comprehensive analysis is crucial. We use the latest software, design, and analysis tools and techniques to deliver the accurate and organized information you need.
Analysis Services include:
- Arc flash studies.
- Demand load studies.
- Fault analysis and short circuit studies.
- Feeder and transformer sizing.
- Harmonics analysis.
- Load flow and voltage drop studies.
- Motor starting analysis.
- Protective device coordination.
- Available fault current analysis.
- Existing system documentation and control.
- New system design.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requirements documentation and workplace safety.
- Summarize system loads and validate equipment sizing.
- System protection coordination.
We have a broad range of experience providing project-specific and cost-effective environmental management services for the power and electric utility industry. Our technically diverse staff is knowledgeable about state, local, and federal environmental regulations and programs. This enables us to provide a full range of consulting services that meet your needs and ensure compliance:
- National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) assessments.
- Phase I and Phase II environmental site assessments associated with property acquisition.
- Soil and groundwater investigations and remediation.
- Environmental health and safety reviews (new/expanded facilities, decommissioning/demolition).
- Environmental management system development and implementation.
- Electronic data management.
- Asbestos and lead paint assessments.
- Brownfields/site development.
- Industrial water/wastewater design.
- Environmental and health risk assessments.
- Environmental compliance assessments/audits.
- Wetlands delineation and feasibility studies.
- Stormwater management — BMP designs and stormwater pollution prevention plans.
- Spill prevention control and countermeasure (SPCC) plans.
- Storage tank management (aboveground and underground storage tank).
- Stream restoration.
We specialize in web and geospatially enabled information technology systems, offering integrated asset management solutions. These services minimize your operational downtime, optimize profitability, and streamline the work order and capital budget processes to improve business performance.
We have extensive experience in the development and enhancement of enterprise‑level asset management systems. These systems are capable of consuming data from multiple sources and exposing information through a variety of web-based dashboard views. This gives you the visibility and information needed to make informed decisions.
We also can assist your utility in collecting more accurate and comprehensive data about the location and status of your infrastructure and assets. Equipped with up-to-date information, you can make the best decisions when it comes to asset management and maintenance.
Our instrumentation and controls engineers plan, design, and implement a broad range of process controllers, operator interfaces, networks, and sensing systems. The real value in these automation services is our ability to integrate hardware and software from different manufacturers. This adds flexibility to your project planning and budget.
Our function specifications include:
- Batch and continuous control.
- Cell control.
- Machine control.
- Supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Back-office integration.
Our industrial networking includes:
- Actuator Sensor Interface (ASi).
- Foundation Fieldbus.
- Database integration for archiving and trending.
- Manufacturing execution systems.
- Back-office integration.
Our automation services include:
- Instrument selection and specification.
- Loop diagram development.
- Instrumentation documentation.
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) specification and configuration.
- Distributed control systems.
- Operator interface systems, including Operator Interface Terminal (OIT), Human Machine Interface (HMI), and Man Machine Interface (MMI).
- Safety interlock specification and design.
Your utility infrastructure demands proper protection. It’s critical to have a security strategy that is fully informed by Industrial Control Systems (ICS) experts. It should also be tailored to the specific risks you face. Gannett Fleming has skilled security and cybersecurity professionals with a thorough understanding of the power grid, including regulatory compliance with the:
- Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC).
- Nuclear Energy Institute (NEI).
- North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC).
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
Our experts also understand and comply with International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) and Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) industry standards.
We bring experience in:
- Electricity generation and transmission control systems engineering.
- Security architecture.
- Critical asset identification.
- Defense-in-depth strategies.
- Metrics for measuring security controls.
- Risk mitigation.
- Vulnerability assessments.
- Project execution.
Our experts can help you take the right actions to:
- Increase resilience.
- Ensure safety.
- Maintain availability across your critical infrastructure environment.
Gannett Fleming clients are confident in their readiness for NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) compliance audits. Our mock audit reports provide detailed findings and actionable recommendations to mitigate non-compliance issues and implement best practices for process and operational improvements. We prepare you for audits through:
- Subject matter expert (SME) interviews and training.
- Lessons learned from incident response and recovery plan exercises.
- A systematic approach to building an audit‑friendly portfolio of compliance evidence and completed Reliability Standard Audit Worksheets (RSAWs).
Our services include:
- Bulk Electric System (BES) Asset and BES Cyber Systems identification methodology.
- Control system factory acceptance testing and installation.
- Cybersecurity vulnerability assessments and risk remediation.
- Generation and transmission control system engineering and design.
- Internal control design and assessment.
- NEI critical digital asset identification and tracking.
- NEI cybersecurity compliance planning.
- NERC CIP mock audits.
- NERC functional registration.
- Physical security vulnerability assessments and remediation.
- Program governance documentation and automation.
- Reliability Standards gap analysis and remediation.
- Security policy design and development.
- Training program design and implementation.
Our valuation and rate experts can provide estimates of annual depreciation accrual rates and accrued depreciation for:
- Management responsibility.
- Utility regulation.
- Income tax preparation.
- Property valuations.
We have complete working knowledge of depreciation methods, procedures, and techniques that reduce the risk of incomplete capital recovery.
- Service life studies and depreciation calculations in support of rate base claims and annual depreciation expense claims in customer rate filings.
- Expert testimony in support of depreciation studies during rate hearings.
- Book depreciation reserve studies to establish a starting point for the use of the book reserve, or adjusted book reserve, for ratemaking purposes.