Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion: Gannett Fleming's Progress
What is diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI)?
In short, diversity is used to show how varied a workplace is and considers characteristics like:
- Gender identity
- Disability status
- Veteran status
- Sexual orientation
- and more.
Equity refers to building impartiality and fairness with processes and policies in the workplace, ensuring that all employees have fair access to opportunities.
Lastly, inclusion ensures that employees:
- Feel a sense of belonging
- Can bring their full selves to work
- Work in different ways that allow them and the business to be successful.
In recent years, “diversity,” “equity,” and “inclusion” have become corporate buzzwords. It’s easy for companies to talk about DEI and its importance. But it’s another matter to show tangible progress.
As one of the leading AEC firms, Gannett Fleming understands this. We actively promote inclusion and strive to create an inclusive environment, but we know our work in this area is never done.
Learn about some of the ways Gannett Fleming is embracing and advancing DEI in the AEC industry.
You may have heard the phrase, “it starts at the top,” and this is particularly true with DEI initiatives.
To have a diverse and inclusive workplace requires leadership – at all levels of the company – dedicated to putting in the time, resources, funding, and monitoring to make this a reality. Gannett Fleming has leaders committed to creating a diverse workforce by:
- Including well-defined DEI objectives in every corporate Strategic Action Plan we create
- Serving as visible role models to employees, clients, and partners by exhibiting inclusive behavior
- Supporting mandatory, companywide training in areas such as unconscious bias
- Sponsoring employee resource groups (ERGs)
- Considering equity in the employee experience for all roles within the firm
- Playing an active role in attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse groups of talent.
Gannett Fleming has a history of investing in various diversity advocacy groups. We have a dedicated Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) Steering Committee that has helped our firm to define DEI as it relates to us as a company and by guiding our initiatives. The D&I Steering Committee provides:
- Recommendations on training courses
- Coordination with our human resources and legal departments to make policies and procedures more equitable
- Relationship building across the firm’s corporate business groups
- Accountability to the firm on its DEI objectives
- Partnership with our ERGs.
One of the most successful ways Gannett Fleming’s employees have been able to take the lead in making our firm the best place to work is through our ERGs. To date, Gannett Fleming has launched four ERGs:
- Connected Women at Gannett Fleming™
- Future Generations of Gannett Fleming
- LGBTQ+ of Gannett Fleming
- Military Veterans at Gannett Fleming.
These groups have helped to advance a culture that encourages connection, engagement, and equitable opportunities for all.
Hearing All Voices
At Gannett Fleming, we understand the value of regularly checking in with our employees. We want to hear from them directly about what is working well and where we have opportunities to improve.
We conduct regular, in-house pulse surveys on a variety of topics, from assessing employee morale throughout the COVID-19 pandemic to shaping our hybrid work models to gathering feedback on where employees feel we are with our DEI initiatives. The results of these surveys help to guide evolutions in policies, procedures, culture, and more.
We also believe in using third-party tools and experts to gather feedback. Every three years, we conduct an employee engagement survey. In 2021, more than 90% of our employees reported that they would recommend Gannett Fleming as a place to work! Additionally, we are rolling out DEI listening sessions. These sessions will give our employees a platform to share their experiences and perspectives on working at Gannett Fleming.
Career Growth and Work-Life Balance for All
We believe in work-life balance for all employees. And we provide hybrid work models, allowing our employees flexibility and greater control over their personal and professional lives. No matter what stage you are in your career, Gannett Fleming has a seat at the table for you.
EARLY-CAREER PROFESSIONALS CAN EXPECT TO:
- Be a part of a collaborative environment with a companywide open-door policy
- Be included in meetings where they’re encouraged to share their ideas
- Be a part of high-visibility projects that focus on sustainability, resiliency, and benefits to their communities
- Have access to subject matter experts, thought leaders, mentors, and professional development to help them learn and grow.
MID-CAREER PROFESSIONALS WHO ASPIRE TO REACH A NEW LEVEL IN THEIR PROFESSIONAL JOURNEYS WILL:
- Be given opportunities to innovate, pursue their passions, and directly shape Gannett Fleming’s future
- Network and promote their thought leadership through digital platforms and at the leading professional conferences and events
- Enjoy the resources and projects of a large firm but the family culture and flexibility of a small firm
- Have access to pathways and advancement opportunities to senior roles in the firm.
SENIOR-CAREER PROFESSIONALS WHO HAVE HONED THEIR TECHNICAL AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Promote teamwork and serve as mentors to early-career and mid-career staff, building opportunities for their advancement
- Build and nurture relationships with clients and partners for sustained and new growth
- Employ strategies that they create and envision for the future
- Showcase a business mindset that sees the big pictures and anticipates projects and needs.
There's Always Room to Grow
As a firm, we are proud of the progress we have made toward becoming more diverse, equitable, and inclusive. However, we know learning and growing in DEI is a permanent commitment. We will continue to engage DEI experts, monitor key metrics, and evolve to ensure Gannett Fleming remains a best-in-class employer for all.
Join Our DEI Journey
If you’re ready to advance your career, apply to our open positions and join our talent community today!