Career fairs and information sessions can be excellent starting points for making connections and learning more about companies first-hand. Before going to the session, review the list of attending employers published by the career center, organizer, or event sponsor and research the ones that seem like a good fit.
In particular, I recommend:
- Checking for alignment of their values with your own.
- Seeing if their culture matches your expectations.
- Learning about the markets they serve and the solutions they provide.
- Reviewing their projects to get a sense of the work you could be doing.
- Seeing where they have physical offices.
When you come to the company’s booth or session knowing who they are, where they are, and what they do, it allows us, as the company representatives, to have a more in-depth conversation with you. Plus, it shows us that you’re prepared and interested.